March 11, 2008

Visibility Alert Presents...

Did you know that Chuck Norris' tears can cure cancer? Too bad he has never cried... Ever.

Depictions of masculinity in the media has always been a strong interest of mine. I've always wondered in what forms and directions mainstream media would push the heroic male or how they would typecast/alienate alternative forms of masculinity.

More importantly, I've wondered how these representations affect people as a whole. Is there a crisis in masculinity?In order to analyze this, I wrote a previous entry on masculinity and violence where I did shed some insights on media male stereotypes. But just to reiterate...

  1. Men in positions of power over women.
  2. Buffoons/generally inept when it comes to nurture, housework, etc.
  3. The hairless action hero.
  4. Don't show emotion... unless it is anger.
It is my pleasure to announce that I have a series of 3 interviews coming up to further my discussions of the construct that is masculinity. I'm really excited about these next few posts as I have a couple of awesome bloggers with varying specialties in the subject of masculinity.

Just a hint to quell any curiosity... Interview no.1 will address men & masculinity, no.2 will open discussion on alternative masculinities, and no.3 will be an open response to masculine depiction and its effects on men.

So stay tuned... The interviews might seem a tad lengthy but I promise to pretty them up with some pics and videos.

No comments: